Wednesday 2 May 2012

Day 22 - Nigel goes to Lake Carolville

So it will be a short blog today as I spent the morning catching up on work (seeing Peter at work reminded me that I too had to pay for this trip somehow). 

Approaching midday the sun was started to break through the clouds so I elected I’d head out to Lake Coralville.  I had heard that it had fossils and numerous trails from a waitress we had encountered (and let the record show that, unlike Peter, despite her attractiveness I tipped her not a penny more than appropriate).


It was a short drive through some gorgeous country back-roads and I stopped first to follow the fossil trail.  According to the literature, when they dammed one of the rivers coming off the lake it exposed a huge number of fossils so they made it a local attraction.  It was quite interesting to view in an “If only I was a palaeontologist I’d know what the heck I was looking at” kind of way.  I won’t bore you with the photos because they were of a size that science folk refer to as “eency weency”.


I then took to the trails and with the sun filtering through the tree canopy it really was quite beautiful.  The trails were quite unlike the typical bush walks in New Zealand.  Firstly It was mainly just trees with little ground cover save for grass and fallen leaves.  Secondly it was so elaborately and cleverly sign posted that I was never once under the illusion that DOC had been involved in its upkeep.

 

If I were to make one complaint (and let’s face it you would be as disinterested in reading this as I am in writing it if I do not) it was that the lake itself was a trifle unattractive.  It was quite murky and I got the distinct feeling that it had been forged less by time and more by heavy machinery.


I had been walking the “Woodpecker Trail” for nearly two hours and was mentally penning a strongly worded letter to the US Parks Service vis-à-vis false advertising when I was suddenly struck by a repetitive thumping which I initially assumed to be a symptom of the previous night’s revelry.  Quickly I realised it was actually a woodpecker hacking away at a tree not more than five feet away. As soon as he saw me he dashed off (I have a similar effect with women) and so I managed only one quick photo.


Much more prolific of course were the squirrels which are as common and cunning as the magpies are in New Zealand. I also kept venturing off the track desperately hoping that I might see a snake, but knowing that if I did I would invariably squeal like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.


As with Backbone I essentially had the park to myself, which was probably just as well at it had grown so muggy that I needed to strip off my shirt and it has been a good while since these puppies have seen the sun.

I was running late to pick up Peter so as lunch I grabbed a muesli bar only to discover it was one of those salty sweet things that Americans seem to love, of course I regarded this with the quiet composure for which I am known, causing nearby parents to usher their children away to safety.  It occurred to me then that if I could sell bacon strips double dipped in melted cheese and chocolate I would be a gazillionaire.
















No comments:

Post a Comment